QS is a global leader in higher education services. We are the data analytics, performance insight provider and intelligence partner supporting university excellence across the world. Our student recruitment and enrolment solutions enable universities and business schools to connect with talented individuals that are seeking to further their academic progress and career development. Our portfolio of professional services includes consultancy, student mobility and academic partnerships management, and branding solutions.
We publish highly visible and influential rankings of international universities, including the QS World University Rankings® which reaches a global audience of hundreds of millions of people. QS keeps growing organically, through acquisition and by recruiting top talent across key regions.
The Director of Business Intelligence is responsible for expanding our use of data and information as a strategic enabler of our corporate goals and objectives, enabling the transformation of QS Enrolment Solutions (QSES) into a business that truly differentiates and competes on analytics, by:
- Setting the BI strategy and vision for QSES in collaboration with the MD and senior leadership team;
- Lead the BI Team, establishing and executing a vision for the delivery of information and analytics platforms and solutions to the business’ key internal and external stakeholders;
- Overall responsibility for strategic, operational and technical resource responsibilities associated with BI and BI related functional areas, including:
- BI platforms and tools.
- Data warehousing and data sourcing architecture.
- Service delivery of reporting, analytics, data exploration and data integration.
- Information delivery (portals, mobile).
- Data governance including data quality management.
- Key business data collection and reporting processes including Reconciliation and KPIs.
- Machine learning & advanced analytics
- Operational efficiencies & performance improvement
Key responsibilities include:
Vision & Strategy:
- Establish and maintain the BI roadmap for future technology, analytical, data and business needs.
- Contribute to development of key strategic plans which encompass elements pertaining to BI and data.
- Identify opportunities using both emerging and existing technologies to provide new and innovative methods of delivering strategic BI service delivery objectives.
- Plan, manage and prioritise development initiatives of all BI related technology projects.
BI Infrastructure & Service Delivery:
- Oversee the design, implementation and performance of business focused reporting services.
- As a Product Owner for BI and Data related technologies, collaborate with Technology and Business Analysts to provide assistance with business cases, eliciting client & internal requirements, translating & simplifying requirements and performing requirements analysis.
- Manage the service delivery of internal and external reporting and analytical requirements ensuring requests are delivered accurately and in a timely manner.
- Assess and evaluate new technologies that would allow BI to continuously improve in availability, accessibility and self-service.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to identify, prioritise and implement new data sources and analytical needs of the business and clients.
- Advise on best practice processes relating to but not limited to BI reporting, development and information management.
- Oversee the Client data reconciliation processes to ensure results are accurately reported.
- Contribute to continuous improvement initiatives across QSES.
- Provide insights to the business for operational improvement and ways to optimise student success outcomes such as enrolment or retention.
- Establish a global data governance framework - outlining methods and procedures for data governance and management including tracking data quality, completeness, redundancy and standardisation of global data processes and metrics.
- Implement practices and processes for ensuring that data models and methodologies are uniform.
- Liaise with internal stakeholders to develop and implement a data management strategy.
- Create strategies and plans for data security, business continuity, and archiving. Ensure that data strategies and architectures are in regulatory compliance.
- Establish and govern information life cycle management.
- Conduct data capacity planning, life cycle, duration, usage requirements, feasibility studies and other tasks.
What’s in it for me?
- Opportunity to establish and execute a vision for the delivery of information and analytics platforms and solutions to the business.
- Opportunity to be a member of the senior leadership team for QSES, collaborating with other senior leaders on initiatives as required.
- Opportunity to play a key role in the transformation of an exciting business.
The ideal candidate will have:
Demonstrated knowledge and experience
- Demonstrated leadership experience, effectively managing and mentoring a globally distributed technology focused Data Warehouse/BI team.
- Previous experience working with a cross-functional team in the areas of technology, marketing and analytics/CRM
- Demonstrated experience in across data governance and reporting, with an understanding of data science
- Experience in establishing and articulating a vision, setting goals, developing and executing strategies, tracking and measuring results.
- Experience working within the higher education or education management industry would be helpful.
Technical skills and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject (postgraduate qualification preferred), or equivalent experience.
- Experience in SQL, and reporting frameworks and technologies such as MS Sql Server (SSIS, SSRS, SSAS), Tableau, Excel, Power BI.
- Thorough knowledge of software development life cycle (SDLC) and Agile development methodologies.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, verbal and written.
- Strong organisation and project management skills.
- Ability to understand critical issues and bring appropriate resolution to complex issues
- Ability to gather and document quality business requirements.